It’s that time of year again at The Avenue – Mission: Ignition. In less than a week, we’ll kick off another week-long emphasis where we’re all challenged to love and serve others. To live missional lives. To force ourselves to get out of our boxes and do something for someone else – you know, things that we really should be doing all along.
Why Mission: Ignition?
I thought I’d just throw out a few bits of info, and refreshers about why we do Mission: Ignition. I know with my life and craziness, sometimes I forget why we do things – and so if you’re also in that boat, here goes:
- We do Mission: Ignition because as Christians, we’re all called to live missionally.
- With that said, we’re all busy. So Mission: Ignition gives us a full week to be intentional.
- Plus, because we push it as a church, there’s more accountability.
- A week of Mission: Ignition is designed to give ideas and challenges.
- One way to worship God is through our service to him.
- So, for a whole week, we encourage loving and serving others. That’s our worship to God. (and why we traditionally don’t have Sunday services on M:I week.)
October Mission: Ignition Plans
We always try to provide a “theme” for Mission: Ignition. This M:I’s theme – food.
If there’s one thing The Avenue does well is bless others through food. We do potlucks, BackSnack team, food collections, meals for families, etc. really, really well.
So, we’re channeling our hospitality gifts this week and encouraging everyone to think about how you can use a meal or food to bless others.
Here’s the rundown:
Mission: Ignition – Monday, Oct. 10 – Sunday, Oct. 16
Here’s what’s coming up-
- Monday, Oct. 10 – Church-wide Fast
Fast with us to experience one of the most powerful spiritual rhythms we have – withholding food to focus on prayer. If you can’t fast food, consider fasting electronics or something like that. Log on Monday for suggestions for prayer as you fast with us.
- Tuesday, Oct. 11 – Prayer Walk
The Berridge Life Group is hosting a prayer walk, everyone is welcome to join! They’ll be at Waterfall Park (Behind Bass Pro Shop in Independence, MO) starting at 6:30pm. Kids can play on the playground as adults walk and pray over our city and our church.
- Thursday, Oct. 13 – “Let’s Eat!” for Beacon House
We’re hosting a “Let’s Eat!” potluck for men at the Beacon House on this evening. This is a great way to provide a delicious home-cooked meal to some guys who could use extra encouragement! Check The City for what we need and to sign up to donate an item!
- Friday, Oct. 14 – Sunday, Oct. 16- Breakfast & Dinner Dates
We strongly encourage every Avenue family to think about making plans with another individual/family who you can love and serve this weekend. Be intentional. Use Sunday morning to do breakfast. Or stay out later Saturday night to do dinner. Who has God put on your heart to love?
Just Because Ideas – M:I
If you’re looking for a few other ideas about how to love & serve this week, here are a few ways you can reach out to others, through an easy method of food!
- buy the person behind you’s meal/coffee
- get a grocery gift certificate to bless someone
- donate cans/ food to harvesters or a local food pantry
- make Halloween goodie bags for our BackSnack kids (we would need 30 for each school)
- make a batch of cookies or bread and take it to a neighbor
- have a friend or family member over for dinner
- make a food gift basket for a teacher/coach/coworker/boss/friend
- do the dishes for another member in your family ( if you take turns) or when at another’s house
- pray for the hungry in the KC family with your kids during dinner time
- take a friend out for some coffee or lunch
The possibilities are endless. And the bottom line – love and serve how God leads you this week.
With any questions, email us at The Avenue! Praying for an amazing Mission: Ignition week!